Recently, I came across an article about how our habits become harder to change once our brain slows down its development around the age of 25. After reading this article, I leaned back on my chair, dramatically. This is it. This is me. Forever.
No. That's not true. There was still a sliver of hope. I'm still 24. I still have about a year, give or take. That's plenty of time to change my bad habits, right? I popped up, sat up straight, encouraged, if only slightly.
I crossed my fingers. Scratch that. Never rely on luck, Jeffrey. If I'm going to change, it has to come from my willingness to do so. That means hard work and perseverance.
So what do I want to develop?
- Better Sleep Habits: I'm still operating on college time. The snooze button is a drug! You think it's a good idea at the moment, but you always regret it during the day!
- A Morning Routine: As a follow-up, I'd like to have more time in the morning to eat breakfast. Ideally, I'll have time to do something reflective like meditate, write, or read. If I'm really ambitious, I'll fit in a workout session as well. Also, apparently, cold showers are great for you. Shivers...
- A Healthy Diet & Budget: I'm not a materialistic person. I tend to value experiences over things. Because of this, my main expenses are food and drink. I'd like to cook more and eat out less.
- A Quality Consumption Plan: It's unlikely that I'll consume less content. There are just too many good books, TV shows, and films out there. However, I'd like to increase the quality of my consumption. That means being more mindful about the things I consume.
- Relationships: I want to learn how to build and maintain quality friendships. Living abroad is tough, socially. I need to learn how to keep in touch with friends and family.
- Creating and Making Skills: Increase my "making" output. I want to write more, to produce more content. I want to make masterpieces. I want to make shit. I want to be successful. I want to fail. I want to learn how to pick myself up.
I don't have much time. That means I should start now.